It's important to live life to its fullest. So I've created this blog to keep track of "my list" and blog about my personal adventures - as trivial or as extravagant as they may be! Inevitably, the list will continue to grow as I think of crazy things I'd like to do. I plan to document it along the way, camera by my side, and hope you'll join me in enjoying the (small and big) adventures in life!


Monday, April 19, 2010

The Home Renovation Planning Begins!

Over a month until closing time and I've already begun devising an evil plan to overhaul the kitchen! …In an economically friendly way, of course!


It all started with an ugly faux brick backsplash… Are you ready for this? Then came the stove because it’s very dated and near its last bake. And because it’s a drop in stove, it makes sense to replace the ugly counters since we’ll have to cut into them anyway. THEN the cabinets because they are old and terribly painted and because we’ll have to cut into that to install a freestanding stove and an above the stove microwave….AND THEN if I’m going to be replacing the cabinets and the counter, why not put in the wood floors that I want to replace the 70s laminate that’s peeling in the pantry??? Whew!!

I mean, it’s all in the spirit of not having to live through a nasty kitchen renovation and taking advantage of the overlapping month between having my condo and my rental.

As of now, here are the components of my dream kitchen:

1. Warm wood floor (install by myself, my dad, and potentially my lil bro)

2. White cabinets (installed by my pops and bro – and me as an assistant!)

3. Under cabinet lighting

4. Black/Grey solid surface/stone OR butcher block counter

5. New single tub sink

6. Stainless steel appliances: glass top electric stove, over-the-stove microwave, bottom freezer fridge

7. Breakfast bar even with the counter

8. New light fixture


Here are some pictures to get the creative juices flowing…

5 comments:

  1. Love all of these pics!!! Sounds like it's going to be beautiful! I can help too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see it all! Are you going to be painting at all? Will you take me to the paint store to choose colors? I love that part. (You should get married so you can register for all new kitchen stuff...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a dangerous concept of "getting married to register for new kitchen stuff..."

    Jessie, we didn't look at under cabinet lighting when I was there. Seems nit picky, but there are many options. Scott is a much better electrician than me (that's not too hard!), two things I hadn't anticipated in putting in under-the-cabinet lighting was where to route the wires (best done before cabinets installed, and how to power them (the transformer takes up precious room in my cabinets!) Also, while I'm thinking of it... plan out where you want outlets. There are so many possible appliances to use in the kitchen. My biggest restriction is outlets to power them all! This is something to plan before the cabinets are installed. Scott may be able to help us on this, but you may need an electrician to install a new circuit in your box if the existing power is not sufficient to run everything. That's a job for a professional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will most likely be enlisting the help of all of you, so be ready! :) You'll want to dig out your old painting clothes!

    Decided tonight to NOT replace the cabinets considering it blows a good chunk of my budget - I'll just hire a professional painted to spray them with a nice finish. Ahhh, let the million decisions begin!

    ReplyDelete