It's important to live life to its fullest. So I've created this blog to keep track of "my list" and blog about my personal adventures - as trivial or as extravagant as they may be! Inevitably, the list will continue to grow as I think of crazy things I'd like to do. I plan to document it along the way, camera by my side, and hope you'll join me in enjoying the (small and big) adventures in life!


Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Thrilling Kitchen Update

The kitchen remodel began what seems like ages ago. Weekend trip by weekend trip my dad has trekked north to Seattle to be my partner in crime and make this smoke stained and very dated 1979 condo come back to life.

With little help from time managementless (yes, that's in the Dictionary of Jessie) contractors, the place is really starting to come together. In between this post and the last, I've installed my pantry shelving, my dad and I have installed a lovely kitchen back splash, and I painstakingly watched as a tiny little cabinet was built in order to install the beautiful microwave that had made a home on my living room floor for the last month or so.

I do have to say that the most thrilling (literally) project took place on Tiling Day #2. My dad had taken off to head back home and I had just backbreakingly grouted some impeccably white tile when I was running over it with a wet sponge to remove the excess grout - it's what all the pros do. When I learned a very important lesson...

Wet Sponge + Live Outlet = Major Electrocution.

In a split second electricity and I became one as it shot up my right arm and into my chest. This of course sent me flying backwards into the stove and was accompanied by a very loud scream. My roomie rushed into the kitchen thinking I had seen a spider - yes, those two screams are apparently hard to distinguish. Needless to say, my grouting was over for the night, my right arm was still tingling the next day and the outlet covers have NOT been re-installed nearly two weeks later.

Electrification aside, check out some of the latest kitchen pics...






Aaaaand..... the grout! :)


Finished tile with a (unpainted) cabinet waiting for a door and hanging microwave! I have a real kitchen now!

2 comments:

  1. You have done a marvelous job. You had a great vision and -- as always -- your eye for color is stunning. Nice job and very funny writing about a painful event. I remember when you called me while I was driving home, you didn't convey just how much it hurt. Don't worry, I'll get those outlet covers on my next trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the same page as your Dad, I didn't realize that you literally got electrocuted. I thought you were just being dramatic and really all you got was a big shock. I thought that only happened in movies!

    ReplyDelete