It's important to live life to its fullest. So I've created this blog to keep track of "my list" and blog about my personal adventures - as trivial or as extravagant as they may be! Inevitably, the list will continue to grow as I think of crazy things I'd like to do. I plan to document it along the way, camera by my side, and hope you'll join me in enjoying the (small and big) adventures in life!


Saturday, June 12, 2010

Costa Rica - The Canopy

About halfway through our time at the Jungle Villa (here’s another picture to help you drool)…



...we hit the mountains for a zip line Canopy Tour of Manuel Antonio National Forest. I’ve never been zip lining before and was slightly nervous because I am typically afraid of heights and wasn’t entirely sure what to expect. After getting harnessed in and helmets atop out heads, we hiked up a trail seeing some awesome forest creatures along the way. One included a very poisonous tree frog (similar to the one below) that was a little larger than the size of a quarter that, with one touch, can cause excruciating pain for several hours. Yes, this was much better than the other frog found in this forest – the even more poisonous Dart Frog that could kill 20 people.


Actual picture taken of one of the millipedes we saw on the forest floor. Curled, it's about the size of your palm. -->
 

We made it through alive :-) and started our canopy tour with a couple practice runs and a Tarzan swing over a large drop off in the forest. Super fun! And yes, I screamed like a little girl. And yes, I got bit by a stupid fire ant. Those dang things hurt more than you could imagine! I guess it was partially to be expected since we were stopped in the middle of the Fire Ant Alley (or more like Freeway). Quite cool to watch though with the bits of leaves floating being hauled around the ground.

I haven’t got the professional pictures back from the “paparazzi” on hand that day. But here are some pictures I stole from my friends’ Facebook pages. Thanks girls!

 Pre-tour -->

Half-way break at the thatched hut -->

Sara and one of the many guides, high atop the trees -->

Me starting the longest zip line of the tour which spanned across this entire open area. Beautiful. -->

The group at the half-way break, overlooking Manuel Antonio National Park -->

Claire spiraling up one of the staircases wrapped around a tree to the next zip line -->

This was such an amazing time and such a blast! I would definitely do it again. It's a fun time but also a great way to see the rainforest, incredible views, and see creatures you wouldn't otherwise see.

3 comments:

  1. Looking for things to do in Costa Rica? Visit Turu Ba Ri Nature and Adventure Park offering Zip Lining, Canopy tour, Costa Rica map, Nature Tour and more Costa Rica attractions

    Turu Ba Ri Nature and Adventure Park is the perfect destination for a Family Vacation in Costa Rica. The tour and activities the park offers will be remembered surely as the highlight of your holiday. We have adventure options suitable for the whole family from the quietest option like the Nature guided, a tour to a Costa Rica Map, or a horseback ride, to The Canopy Tour, The Superman Zip lining or the Tarzan Swing for the more daring

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any possibility that I could use that awesome frog photo? We're building a brochure for our green community in Costa Rica - www.AlazanCostaRica.com - and our frog photos kinda suck in comparison :-) Your photo, on the other hand, is beautiful! -Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cheri! That's the one picture I've borrowed. So sorry to say that I can't really give permission for it. Good luck with your brochure!!

    ReplyDelete