It's important to live life to its fullest. So I've created this blog to keep track of "my list" and blog about my personal adventures - as trivial or as extravagant as they may be! Inevitably, the list will continue to grow as I think of crazy things I'd like to do. I plan to document it along the way, camera by my side, and hope you'll join me in enjoying the (small and big) adventures in life!


Sunday, June 13, 2010

Costa Rica - The Farm, Part 1

Visiting the farm and Sara's (my roomie) sister, Kelci was the ultimate purpose of joining in on the Costa Rican fun so I was really excited to make the journey from the Pacific Coast in Manuel Antonio to Kelci and her boyfriend's family's farm. It was located near the VERY small town of Acostura which is located just outside of San Isidro del General. It is almost the middle between the two coasts of Costa Rica.


The journey took a good portion of the day on bus and waiting in San Isidro for our bus transfer. But it was definitely worth it! The views along the way were incredible and I found myself not believing I was actually there. After two buses, the last leg of trip was made on foot down one of the few (and very muddy) main streets of Acostura which follows the spine of a large hill.


Once settled in, we got busy right away making some amazingly incredible snacks. The first included corn tortillas from scratch made with the corn grown on their farm. This, of course, had to be accompanied by freshly made guacamole made with avocados and tomatoes grown on their farm as well. There's really something incredible about making your food from scratch from ingredients you've grown yourself. I really do wish I had the time (and ability) to do this at home.



The house had incredible views and was so quaint, I can completely understand WHY Kelci moved to Costa Rica to learn organic farming and HOW she's ended up staying several years.

Here is a picture of Sara and I enjoying the views from the top near Acostura.

This area is where Cupito (the cutest and loudest of little dogs) lives along with several chickens/roosters and a bunny. The path leads further down to more fruits/veggie trees/plants.

A bundle of green plantains grown on the farm, easily accessible outside the back door.


In process of making fried plantains in three, equally amazing, ways. (Note: Please excuse the very inaccurate terminology.)


  1. Thicker dices of ripe plantains fried


  2. Green plantains fried, squished, then fried again


  3. Thin slices of green plantains deep fried
 (Additional note: all frying took place in pig fat from a pig raised on the farm. mmmmm.)


An evening event of roasting coffee beans over an open-fire outdoor stove. Took a little longer than the modern methods...


Although I was only there a very short time (too short), I do have to say there is something comforting about living so closely to the land and your food source. It continues to boggle me how we have let ourselves get so removed from what we eat to the point that we don't even know everything that's in it.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh! I've been waiting for this post for so long! K going to go read it now. :)

    ReplyDelete