It's important to live life to its fullest. So I've created this blog to keep track of "my list" and blog about my personal adventures - as trivial or as extravagant as they may be! Inevitably, the list will continue to grow as I think of crazy things I'd like to do. I plan to document it along the way, camera by my side, and hope you'll join me in enjoying the (small and big) adventures in life!


Thursday, July 1, 2010

Half Marathon - Check!

Another check off the list... definitely not an easy check either! This weekend I completed my first half marathon after about 10 weeks of training (minus one week for Costa Rica – totally worth it). The Seattle Rock ‘n Roll Marathon!!

More than 27,000 runners from all 50 states and 23 countries ran from Tukwila to Seattle for the second annual Rock ‘n Roll Seattle Marathon & ½ Marathon benefiting the American Cancer Society.


It all started before the crack of dawn when we headed south to Tukwila to the runner drop off area. Apparently, the city of Tukwila was caught off guard by the massively planned event and wasn't ready for the volume of cars. So I started the morning with 2 miles of walking just to get to the start line!! Talk about a warm-up.

After arriving at the start line I was blown away by the sheer number of people corralled into the start line gates. I love the guy in this picture with his green race shirt on backwards. Don’t let the light fool you – it was really early – easy mistake apparently.


Once out of the gates we were immediately greeted by a variety of bands (hence, the name), cheerleading groups and a multitude of spectators along the way. From the start in Tukwila, the course headed up the west side of Lake Washington to the I-90 Bridge (we got to run through one of the tunnels) and then looped through downtown Seattle before finishing at the steps of Qwest Field. Thanks to the huge crowds and all the excitement, the race went very well. Right up until Mile 11 when my knees REALLY started screaming at me – thank you Seattle spectators for cheering and making it slightly easier to finish the last 2.1 miles!


I finished in 2:13, which is right around where I had hoped to be. We even received a medal and yummy treats after. Here are some pictures taken by the paparazzi (a.k.a. my dad).


The Finish Line:

Finisher!

Best Dad EVER!

Roomies!

Me and Michael...

The Medal:

No comments:

Post a Comment