It's important to live life to its fullest. So I've created this blog to keep track of "my list" and blog about my personal adventures - as trivial or as extravagant as they may be! Inevitably, the list will continue to grow as I think of crazy things I'd like to do. I plan to document it along the way, camera by my side, and hope you'll join me in enjoying the (small and big) adventures in life!


Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Puppy Dilemma

Over the last several weeks I’ve been casually debating the adoption of a little companion. Over the weekend during a fun trip across the sound to visit Liv and Oz, we stopped at the Kitsap Humane Society (the now employer of my dear friend Olivia).

I managed to make it through the entire shelter until I got to one of the very last kennels and there he was. A Gordon Setter mix stray temporarily named Punchy, sitting quietly in his kennel with big sweet eyes gazing upwards. And from that moment, I was hooked. He is approx. 1 yr old, a stray found in Port Orchard, seems laid back and calm, very gentle when eating treats out of my hand, knows how to sit. Because of his size, I could take him running or out for activities. He's a medium sized dog (about the height of my knee) so I wonder how he would do in a condo.


This of course has sent me into a spiral of over-analyzing my life to determine if I'm ready for a pet. If so, is a dog best? Medium size dog? Small dog? Is a cat best? For anyone who knows me, you'll know that I have to thoroughly explore all options before making a decision. I always say "You don't know it's the right decision until you've explored all the bad ones." SOOOO I took a quick trip down the street to the Seattle Humane Society hoping this would validate my love for Punchy or determine if something else is better.

In the process, I fell in love with another little pup.... a 2 yr old miniature pincher (always thought this breed was so adorable). He is pretty independent, not a jump-up-in-your-face type of dog, doesn't seem to be interested in toys, would need a little more training in terms of sitting, etc, but is smaller and would maybe work better in my condo? The shelter said he would need to pee about every 4 hours (which conflicts with work, maybe a pee pad?), seemed very cuddly when holding him and he gets along with other pets, children, etc.


Thoughts anyone?? Any wise words of advice around pet ownership, around certain breeds, etc? Votes for Punchy or the min pin?

7 comments:

  1. Did you ever consider a fish? :) just kidding. Think of the hair; in your condo and in your car and ease of someone dog sitting while you travel. For all those reasons I vote on the Min Pin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When in doubt, do what I always do... let Fergus decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Fergus to get his butt up here soon before someone else adopts them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had Peanut (medium size doggie) in our apt for about 9 months and she was fine. If you're willing to take them out for long walks/runs or to the dog park regularly, I'm sure either would do just fine in your condo. I do agree with what Katie posted on facebook - the medium sized dog will give you more protection and there is a stigma tied to little dogs. And what Stacy says is also true. :) With either dog there will be fur and you may find yorself eating dog hair at times. But, in my opinion, totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. UPDATE: Punchy was adopted out today (by someone other than myself). :( Sad. At least it sounds like he went to a good home.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I so want you to adopt both but I am thinking the medium size dog would love to come home with you and would fit your lifestyle :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. UPDATE #2: The min pin was adopted today also! And again, not by yours truely. Booooo!!!!! The search continues. Keep posted.

    ReplyDelete