It's important to live life to its fullest. So I've created this blog to keep track of "my list" and blog about my personal adventures - as trivial or as extravagant as they may be! Inevitably, the list will continue to grow as I think of crazy things I'd like to do. I plan to document it along the way, camera by my side, and hope you'll join me in enjoying the (small and big) adventures in life!


Saturday, January 16, 2010

Monster Truck Show. Check.

Who would have imagined the things you would see and hear in an evening with the natives at a Tacoma dinner and Monster Truck Show. Last night we ventured down to Tacoma, Washington for dinner and Monster Jam 2010. Little did we know quite what to expect.

The evening started out with the task of finding a place to eat. First stop was at an interesting establishment named Acme Grub Cage Tavern. This was the epitome of a hole in the wall restaurant. Yes, this was a place that only served microwave dinners. However, this evening they happened to be out of all microwave dinners except the spaghetti. Mmmmm, how ever did we turn this place down?

From the advice of a man missing all his teeth, we ended up down the street at Tacoma's finest, Malarkey's. This place was quite… “used”… and had some worn booths, a long potent-smelling bar, a row of pool tables and walls covered with banners/fliers. To give you an idea of the type of people that frequented the place, here’s a list of quotes and notes I kept on my handy phone while eating a large plate of various fried foods.

**Reader discretion advised**
- While looking for a place to sit, a creepy old man at the bar said, "There a beauty contest in town?"
- Within minutes of sitting down, a girl followed a man through the front door – “No. $20 is too cheap for a blow job.”
- From the lady with a big booty in too-tight velour pants "…and it went straight to my ass!"
- Man and woman on the way out the front door – "Did you see my wife smack my ass! Hahahhaha. She just smacked my ass." [creepy chuckle out the door]
- Old, rotund man staring at Rachel for several long seconds with his mouth open – "Oh, I thought I knew you. Hmm." [stared several seconds longer before shuffling away]
- Our Malarkey's waiter very excited, with a toothless smile, "You girls got all your teeth!" [chuckle chuckle]
- Our waiter while processing our check "I guess I don't know how to divide."
- "mmmm, you smell good." "It’s ranch."
After arriving at the Tacoma Dome, we found our seats and enjoyed the scenery. All the AWESOME monster trucks were there: Maximum Destruction, Grave Digger, King Krunch, Captain’s Curse, King Kong… Here is some footage for you to enjoy!

Maximum Destruction before it caught on fire!!



Monster Jam Truck Race (before the American Flag truck took the big ramp and flipped):



Motocross Flips:



Here are some notes from Monster Jam 2010:
- A little boy to his dad, "Daddy, why do I only have one shoe on?"
- Teen girl to her friend "I think I'm pregnant."
- Monster Truck-shaped hats for sale
- The very serious guy sitting behind us closely analyzing every move of the monster trucks on the course.
- Men dressed with patch-covered denim jackets with rat-tails and/or mohawks.
- Monster Truck fans with Grave Digger tee-shirts and others chanting Monster Truck’s names.
The girls at Monster Jam (Michelle, me, Rachel):



All in all, my first Monster Truck Show was a really fun experience! People get super excited about their favorite truck which makes it that much more entertaining. I'm mean, how often can the normal person get excited and scream about oversized trucks crushing cars! Earplugs or not, it should be a must on everyone’s list.

1 comment: